Wednesday, April 16, 2008

We Need a Dictator

The unthinkable happened, the Maoist won the election. Given their history of violence against rivals and the press you have to think what the F?? k! Even after they won the election, they badly beat a major representative of another party.

A educated friend of mine said I am really afraid. I have studied the Nazi's and this is very similar to what they did.

Another friend said he supported the Maoist because they represented change. I agreed with that statement, but wondered if political violence and elimination of press freedom is the sort of change they wanted.

I thought back to one of my students essays which was on the violence in my town, Bhaktapur. Her thoughts were, "We need a strong dictator to control the people". Well they got it now and we will have to see what happens.

No comments: