Saturday, December 11, 2010

No Uniform Day

Our volunteer group had another fundraiser yesterday...No Uniform Day.  The kids decided it would be fun if they could pay a nominal amount of money, about 50cents, and not have to wear a uniform for a day.  The money we raised will go to help a school in the jungle in Thailand.

The day before, a couple of students told me it would be funny if the teachers wore student uniforms.  I hate dressing up, but I thought the kids would get a kick out of it, so I decided to wear a school uniform...with the shortest tie known to man.  I looked smashing I think.

As it turned out, a local newspaper heard about "No Uniform Day" and decided to write a story about it.  The principal thought it was good that I was wearing a uniform and encouraged other teachers to wear one also. A few were good sports and did it.



The photographer for the newspaper wanted to get some pictures, so we went to the classrooms and the kids were ridiculously excited about their teachers wearing uniforms.


I thought it was fun that the teachers dressed up for a bit, but somehow the students who did all the work to organize things and the purpose got pushed aside a bit in the excitement over the teachers.

Overall I am really happy with the event, and I think everyone else is too.

Edit.
Here is an article written about the event in the Korean newspaper.

No comments: