Thursday, December 16, 2010

Oral Tests and Anxiety

I gave the kids oral tests recently.  I know the kids feel anxiety, but it is amazing the anxiety I feel. I am rooting for all the kids, but the ones who I know have worked a bit harder, I desperately want to do well.  When they are answering a question I am literally holding my breath.

I have kids who are motivated and are pretty fluent in English.  I can teach them easily and joke with them...they are an absolute joy.  These kids took an oral test and most did great.  I felt like a competent teacher and loved my job.

I have others who are quite nice, but know almost nothing.  After studying English for a decade, they can not ask or answer a simple question. I gave these kids a really easy oral test and even gave them a short list of questions to study a week before the tests. Many could not answer questions you would ask elementary school kids. I felt demoralized. I must be the worst teacher.

I guess these are normal feelings for a teacher.  I wish I knew this when I was a kid, I might have been nicer to mine.



No comments: