Saturday, June 24, 2006

They are bad....really really bad!

We are located close to the Thai Burma border here in Thailand. There are thousands and thousands of refugees here and the stories they tell are simply incredible. You may know that the Burmese military junta has a long running campaign to rid the border region of two ethnic groups, Mon and Karen, that are troublesome to them. The stories the refugees tell of widespread killings and rapes are horrific.

I was chatting with a child who is Karen and he told me of his early years...always feeling hunted...always feeling like he would be killed soon....seeing a man shot through the eye and watching him die. Another child saw his parents killed. Not surprisingly, these children have problems. I guess I would too if I had been through what they have been through. I guess some people care about what happens in Myanmar, I wish more did.

No comments: