Thursday, September 24, 2009

I should be arrested any day

I was chatting with another English teacher in the office this afternoon and a normal conversation with a student starts, "How are you", she responds, "I'm hot!". I knew that she meant temperature, but the way she said it sounded like she was saying she was "hot" in a sexy way. Being a good English teacher, I started to explain to her, "Hot has more than one meaning. If you say you're hot, it can mean temperature. If you say your hot, it can also mean you're sexy".

I should have phrased that differently because she only understood the last two words, so she interupted and said, "Thank You". I think I said, "Eh.ah,oh...no,no, no....I am not saying you're sexy. I am saying that you could mean that when you're hot".

Of course my colleague was greatly amused by my being completely flustered and tried to make sure everything was clear to the student.

No comments: