Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Suicide...bad trends

Korea has the highest suicide rate in the world according to the OECD and this article. The rate is rapidly rising and is already far ahead of Hungary and Japan who have the 2nd and 3rd highest rates and over twice the rate of the US. Suicide is the number one cause of death for people in their 20's and 30's in Korea according to National Statistic Office. The article gives a number of reasons, but I am not sure if anyone really knows.

I thought it was "trendy" because a number of celebrities have done it recently. A friend told me about the Werther effect which says the behaviors can be contagious and that is especially true with suicide.

Update
A kid at a local school killed herself two days ago. Apparently the teachers don't get any training to recognize the signs of a kid contemplating this. After one of my students who I cared about in Japan attempted suicide, I realized that sometimes the signs are not so clear or your too damn busy to recognize them. Thankfully she survived.

I asked my school if they could provide the teachers training in this area. They seem to be enthusiastic about the idea and a teacher already recommended a counselor who could provide the training. Hopefully it will happen soon.

No comments: