Friday, April 09, 2010

Being an Outsider

There is trouble in the teachers room...what is going on?  Did a kid do something stupid?  You ask a colleague, and you get a gentle laugh and a deflection.

Nearly all Native English Teachers face the same problem...we are kept in the dark about any problems the school has.  Maintaining the school's reputation is paramount here.  It is so important, that our contracts say that we can be fired for telling others about the problems at our schools.

I get that keeping the reputation is important,  but this makes me a little crazy. If I understand what is happening, I can help or, at the minimum, be sensitive to issues that may have an impact on the students.

It is an unavoidable fact that I am an outsider, but I hate having the idea reinforced.

No comments: