Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Speech Contest Update

I thought it would be fun to have a speech contest at my school and maybe a dozen kids would join...more like 43.  No big deal, I just have to come to school at 6:45 instead of 8:30, and I need to work through lunch.  I really do not mind because I know it is good for them, and I enjoy it.Getting to know the kids is the best part of the job, and when you have hundreds of students, it is not feasible in the classroom.

Helping kids prepare for this sort of thing is really challenging because giving a speech in your own language is tough, but in another language is ridiculously difficult.  The kids have to really put themselves out there...will they choke, will they be laughed at.

I have done this man times and I am always amazed at the kids who have limited ability and confidence, but immense desire, that join these contests.  I can't help but root for them.  Surprisingly, they have almost always given their best performance on the day of the contest.

No comments: