Friday, March 02, 2007

A plague of locust or somethng....

Last night I took a little nap when the sun was going down. I got up and turned on the lights and there were literally hundreds of insects flying around and hitting me in the head. I noticed that they were pouring out of one of the big support beams for the house. Must be termites. I also noticed they were attracted to light so I left the bathroom light on and the others off. I came back a few hours later and there must have been a couple of thousand dead termites on the ground in the bathroom. A couple of buckets of water and they were all washed down the drain.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

were they termites or cicadas? Some insects do this...one kind of cicada stays underground 17 years then when it finally matures it flies out and dies!
When we were in Africa we experienced a night of flying ants very similar to your experience.

steve said...

I was guessing termites because our house is on big wooden pillars about 3 meters off the ground...so they were probably living in the wood...termites I am guessing. Flying ants sounds sounds quite impressive also.

Anonymous said...

ha ha ....yikes! How long before your 3 meter hut hits the ground? Or does it take a long time for them to do enough damage to ruin the integrity of the pillars?

steve said...

I am guessing the house will be standing long after I am gone. If there are no entries on the blog for awhile though...