Thursday, April 05, 2007

How you doin...look in the mirror

I guess everyone's outlook affects the way they see the world, but when you can not speak to people it the power of your outlook is exaggerated affect.

Every morning I talk to my wife, Sandy, at 8:00. That is generally the last conversation I have until after dinner...sometimes it is the only conversation of the day. Because I only understand a few words of each of the 3 languages I am surrounded by (Thai, Burmese and Mon) I do not understand what people are saying. I understand "foreigner" in all three languages (which is what they refer to me as) so I know when people are talking about me. So I hear that people are talking about me, sometimes followed by laughter. I sometimes wonder what they are saying and why they are laughing. No way for me to know. If I am in a good mood, I think they are saying something nice and I am happier. If I am in a bad mood, they are idiots saying something terrible and I feel angry.

The fact that I am aware of the fact that I am in total control of my happiness makes this situation much easier.

No comments: