Wednesday, December 05, 2007

In the Land of Giants


Yesterday grade 9 at my school had a class trip. We went hiking in the mountains around our town. The hike, which was supposed to take 6 hours, turned out to be 8 hours of going up and down the mountains. The hills running up the mountains are terraced...covered with rice for most of the year, covered in the bright yellow blossoms of mustard during this part of the year. With the snow covered peaks surrounding the area, there were some truly breathtaking views.

Some of the conversations were interesting. As we walked on a path that was two feet wide that had a sheer drop of about 100 feet one of the teachers said, “Villagers in your country walk on such paths, too right?” She was the first person to give a reasonable explanation of the taboo of inter-caste marriage. She explained the customs and even language is different between castes. Living with the family of the husband would be more difficult. I might not agree with it, but now I understand the taboo.

Of course, all the kids wanted their picture taken, many with me. When I got home and looked at the pictures on the computer, I noticed that I am a frikin' giant compared to the other teachers at the school.

No comments: