Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Bad Advice for Tiger, for our country

After watching Britt Hume call for Tiger Woods to become a Christian because "Buddhism doesn't offer the sort of forgiveness and redemption Christianity does" I think I have lived in Buddhist countries too long because this really upsets me.

I am not an expert on Buddhism or Christianity, but my experience is that those who believe devoutly in either can be fine people. I know my Buddhist friends have taught me much about forgiveness (mostly because I do so many stupid things) and redemption. There is no need to change your religion, just practice the principles of your faith.

I have barely heard a mention of this in the newspapers.  Do you think it would be the same if Tiger Woods was a Muslim?  A Jew? A Christian and Buddhist's were trying to persuade him to change? Do you think Brit Hume would be on the air next week if it were about other religions.  I guess the Buddhist are more forgiving about these sorts of things.

Hume has a right to say whatever he wants, but I think that the last thing our country, fractured in so many ways, needs are zealots, whether they be Imams or TV announcers, trying to split the country even more.

No comments: