Wednesday, August 23, 2006

A diverse little town

I was walking through town this afternoon and I heard the Muslim call to prayer. This town is amazingly diverse. In a town of a few thousand (between 3000 and 7000 depending on who you ask) there are Buddists (the majority) Muslims and Christians. There are different ethnic groups including Thai, Burmese, Mon, and two groups of Karen (each with different languages).

I wish I could say everyone lives in harmony, but that would be a lie. The biggest tension is between the two biggest groups, Thai and Mon. Both have gangs that are always looking for a fight with the other. Driving across the big concrete bridge between the Mon and Thai sides at night is quite risky because the groups like to throw bottles at passing motorbikes.

2 comments:

kelsoma said...

Hi Steve and Sandy! Wow, I still miss Sangkhlaburi a ton!! And that picture of you...is that Jasmine? I can't wait to go back and visit someday...possibly follow in your footsteps?? How is everyone doing? And by the way, happy belated birthday Steve!! OR should I say お誕生日おめでとう!Take care and keep in touch! And any help with the school's website would be great (did the online donation thing work Steve?)

steve said...

Hi Kelsey,

Things are going well here. That is a picture of Jasmine. She has been sick lately but is getting better. We are still working on the online donation tool. I will let you know once things have been completed.