Sunday, August 06, 2006

Helping a guy I like and respect

There is really a nice man who work for Baan Unrak. He is really a decent man who has drawn some tough cards. I heard that he was running with some children and a piece of bamboo went between his toes and an inch into his foot. He was refusing to go to the doctor even though he really needed to. He had a day off so I went to his home to check on him and he was at church so I told his friend that I was coming back at 12:30 to take him to the hospital.

I went back and his foot was enormous. I told him he had to go and he did. We got the treatment and the medicine he needed. I have been around poor people enough to know why he did not want to go to the doctor...he had no way of paying for it. We went to get the medicine and pay and as I took out my wallet I asked how much it was. He had this really sad look on his face and said he had no money to pay. When he realized I was already planning on paying he was so happy. I took him home and I looked me in the eyes and thanked me in the sort of way that I knew it was not just polite talk. Best 10 bucks I ever spent.

No comments: