Saturday, February 03, 2007

More instablity

Yesterday was Mon National Day, a big celebration for the Mon ethnic group. There has been a large celebration in our town the last few days that has been well attended by everyone but especially the military and the police. Given the recent instability this is a good thing.

Last night, on the Burma side of the border (20 miles away) there was an explosion followed by machine gun fire. Different reports had different stories from a couple of injures to many people injured and a few dead. There is no way to know for certain the truth, but my guess is the village has a lot of the Karen rebel group and they probably were trying to disrupt a major Mon celebration.

The uncertainty of what is going on is causing a lot of anxiety. I do not feel like I am in any kind of danger, but I am very cautious about what goes on around me.

No comments: