Friday, February 09, 2007

Special Life

Someone who reads my blog said my life here sounds so depressing. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Jim Valvano, an American Basketball coach, was diagnosed with cancer and knew he was going to die. He created the Jimmy V foundation to help with cancer research and taught others how to have a fulfilling life. In 1993 he gave a wonderful speech at an awards show (you can listen here). The part that really stuck for me was:


"We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."

I am forced to think about life every day, I feel sadness everyday and I laugh everyday. Not a day goes by that I do not feel lucky to have this special life.

No comments: