Saturday, March 20, 2010

After You

The head of Seoul's Tourism Organization says that the country needs an "After You" campaign according to today's newspaper. He said that, "Please, Thank you, and Excuse me" are three phrases all Koreans should know.

I could not agree with him more. The pushing, particularly by the old women, is one of my two big gripes (don't get me started about the driving) about living in Korea. It seems that people are sometimes totally oblivious to others around them until it is too late...no problem give'em a little shove and you are on your way.  My Korean friends tell me it is a bit rude, but they ignore it. I wish I could say that I have gotten used to it, but I have not and  I generally give people a dirty look or, if it is a particularly hard push, I say something.

Koreans are some of the kindest, most welcoming people in the world, but the pushing gives the totally opposite impression and should not be tolerated in a modern culture.

No comments: